Saturday 14 July 2012

Wild Garden - a fiber wrist corsage . . .

I decided to try a little plaiting.
I had first intended making a simple sari silk plait bracelet - but as usual got carried away. I will make those simpler versions - but this is the one that just wanted to be a little wilder !!

(1) First I spent a bit of time plaiting sari silk - I just love braiding, a very relaxing and satisfying thing to do. Just cut three equal lengths, tie one end to a door handle and off you go.
Here is pre braided sari silk pic and then post braided pic.


(2) I choose a particularly yummy raspberry purple sari silk  .  .  .  .  but then I could not resist adding in a strand of knitting yarn - the colour mix was perfect. The knit yarn is 90% wool 10% acrylic and made the final plait thicker and more textured. 


(3) I picked three Czech glass bellflower beads, a lucite trumpet bead, some raspberry and purple shimmer seed beads and a deep purple ribbon for the base.


At this stage I brought all the elements downstairs and put on a movie.
I wonder does the choice of viewing influence how the piece turns out?
I prefer to work while watching something I have seen before - I like to keep my
attention on what I am making and just be able to look up from time to time!
( I was watching - Thelma and Louise, so maybe that is why it grew a little wild !! )


(4) I sewed the fiber mix along the ribbon - twirling into a circle at the centre.
I added extra twists of plaited sari silk for more texture.
I put in the Czech and lucite beads and attached them with the seed beads.


5) I felt it needed something else. I looked at buttons / charms / keys but they all looked too bright. It cried out for a dark colour to anchor it. 


I finally settled on a lovely piece of black Victorian lace c1880 for both the extra depth of colour and a little bit of history.


So here it is - a little silk, a little wool, a mix of beads, some new ribbon and some old lace . . . . . 
a very ‘wild garden’ (very Thelma and Louise) wrist corsage.

2 comments:

  1. It's beautiful! Thanks for sharing your creative process. I'm following and can't wait to se more!
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi!
    My name is Ljupka and I'm a famous croatian fashion blogger.
    I found your shop on etsy and really liked your jewelry <3 and I was wondering if you would like to collaborate with me :)

    my blog : www.guerrillagirl.net
    my mail : ljupkakohorta@gmail.com

    :* from Zagreb

    ReplyDelete